Unlike other consulting firms that describe themselves as general advisory companies, Teneo’s mandate is narrower. Specifically, Teneo is a CEO advisory firm which focuses on a discrete set of services: financial advisory, management consulting, people advisory, risk advisory, and strategy and communications.
This article will share more about Teneo’s history, career opportunities, and culture.
Firm Key Stats
Firm Website: Teneo.com
Firm Headquarters: New York
Firm Number of Employees: 1,500+
Firm Number of Locations: 40+
Firm Chief Executive: Paul Keary
Firm Revenue: Undisclosed
Declan Kelly, Paul Keary, and Doug Band founded Teneo in 2011. Teneo has since grown to be a global firm with over 40 offices and 1,500 associates. Teneo grew inorganically with acquisitions including: KPMG’s restructuring business in Bermuda, the UK restructuring business of Deloitte, and WestExec. Unlike other consulting firms which are public companies (e.g., Deloitte) or primarily owned by the partners (e.g., Boston Consulting Group), Teneo is partially private equity backed. Specifically, CVC Capital Partners invested in Teneo in 2019 to support future growth and potential acquisition opportunities.
A Teneo career will afford consultants the ability to advise c-suite level clients on a range of top strategic issues. These clients include some of the largest companies globally (e.g., Fortune 100 companies). Throughout a career at Teneo, you will see the following Teneo values in full view:
- “Relentless client focus”
- “Elevating our people”
- “Borderless collaboration”
- “Inclusivity and initiative”
- “Openness and trust”
- “Integrity and accountability”
To read more about Teneo’s values, click here.
Teneo Consulting Internship
Per Firsthand, Teneo has a summer internship for rising college seniors. The internship aims to give participants a closer look and understanding of what it is like to work at Teneo full-time. Types of skills interns can develop include:
- Qualitative research skills
- Analytical skills (e.g., for data analysis)
- Outside of project work, interns can develop professionally by attending networking events and informal workshops.
Teneo’s business segments are:
- Financial advisory
- Management consulting
- People advisory
- Risk advisory
- Strategy and communications
Within the business segments, Teneo’s practice areas are more granular; Teneo practice areas include:
- Business transformation
- Mergers and acquisition
- Organizational design
- New market entry
Teneo industries are wide-spread and include:
- Private equity
- Retail and CPG
- Software and IT
- Transportation and utilities
Teneo locations re global and nature and include:
- New York
- San Francisco
- Sao Paulo
Teneo does not share its career path as other firms like BCG does. Given firms rapidly change their policy on the necessity of business school and the ability to move from a direct from college to an MD role, it is best to clarify the career path with the recruiter.
Teneo exit opportunities include:
- Investment management
- Investment banking
- Corporate development
Teneo’s notable alumni are numerous and include:
- Declan Kelly: Chairman and CEO of the Consello Group
- Huma Abedin: Vice chair of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign; deputy of staff to Hillary Clinton when she was chief of staff
Per LinkedIn, the majority of Teneo employees are in the UK. As such, the Teneo target schools include:
- University of Cambridge (61 of 1,600 employees on LinkedIn)
- University of Oxford (59 of 1,600 employees on LinkedIn)
- The London School of Economics (53 of 1,600 employees on LinkedIn)
- The University of Manchester (31 of 1,600 employees on LinkedIn)
- The University College Dublin (31 of 1,600 employees on LinkedIn)
In terms of Teneo diversity programs, Teneo has several employee resource groups (“ERGs”), including for:
- LGBTQIA + (pride network)
- Gender diversity
- Different cultures (multicultural network)
On Glassdoor, Teneo has 3.7 out of 5 stars, 71% of individuals recommend it to a friend, and 80% approve of the CEO. Per Glassdoor, pros and cons include:
- Interesting work
- High profile clients
- Fast paced environment
- Long hours
- May be too fast paced depending on working styles
Teneo’s interview consists of a fit interview and a technical interview. Fit interview questions can include:
- When do you make a mistake?
- Why Teneo?
- What were you most proud of?
- Why this role?
The technical interview may be a case interview.
Firm Interview Process
Given the Teneo interview process may differ by geography, season, and on campus versus off cycle recruiting, it is best to clarify the specific interview process with the recruiter.
Per Fishbowl, an entry consulting salary in London is £46,000 with a £3,000 sign-on bonus. The base salary is relatively competitive with those in Bain UK (Bain UK has a £46,400 base). However, the signing bonus is lower than that of Bain UK (£3,000 for Teneo versus £11,000 for Bain). For a comprehensive report on consulting salaries, please see Management Consulted’s report here.
Therefore, Teneo is a more focused CEO advisory firm. Teneo’s work focuses on four practice areas: financial advisory, management consulting, people advisory, risk advisory, and strategy and communications. Within these practice areas, Teneo works across industries. A career at Teneo will afford you with exposure to c-suite level executives, professional development opportunities, and a global perspective. To prep for a Teneo interview with an ex-MBB consultant, please click here.
- Top Consulting Firms of 2023
- Top 10 Boutique Consulting Firms in US
- Consulting Resume: Complete Guide
- Case Interview: Complete Prep Guide