You may be starting your consulting recruitment process and are wondering how to compare different consulting firms. Prophet Consulting helps clients grow in a transformative, uncommon, and sustainable way. Their narrower scope and goals are in contrast to other larger consulting firms (Deloitte, Accenture, etc.) that support clients across a range of areas including growth, operational excellence, technology, HR, etc.
Prophet can go to market with its main business but also has three additional partner companies that can support its clients. Specifically, Altimeter (digital research company), Springbox (digital agency), Keylens (German consulting company focused on customer centricity and transformations).
This article will share more about Prophet, including what a Prophet career can look like.
Table of Contents:
- Firm Key Stats
- Prophet Consulting History
- Prophet Consulting Careers
- Prophet Consulting Internship
- Practice Areas
- Office Locations
- Career Paths
- Exit Opportunities
- Notable Alumni
- Target Schools
- Diversity Programs
- Prophet Consulting Culture
- Prophet Consulting Interview
- Prophet Consulting Salary
Firm Key Stats
Firm Website: www.prophet.com/
Firm Headquarters: San Francisco, California
Firm Number of Employees: 500-1,000
Firm Number of Locations: 15
Firm Chief Executive: Michael Dunn
Firm Revenue: Undisclosed
Prophet Consulting History
Prophet was founded in the 1990s and grew organically and inorganically. Notable acquisitions include: agencies like (r)evolution, Material Group, Figtree, Altimeter Group, and KEYLENS management consultants.
Resume + Cover Letter Edits
- 30min 1:1 Zoom session with MBB coach of your choice
- 2 Rounds of Edits each on 1 Resume and 1 Cover Letter
- Digital pass: 24 templates, 5 e-books
$500 Add to cart
Black Belt Deluxe
- 8 hours 1:1 Zoom sessions with MBB coach of your choice
- All access pass: 550+ cases, 10K+ math/structure drills, 9 video courses, 12 chatbot cases
- Exclusive group training (April 12, 1-3PM ET)
- 2 Rounds of Edits each on 1 Resume and 1 Cover Letter
17 Spots RemainingAdd to cart
Prophet Consulting Careers
You may be asking yourself – what do Prophet Consulting careers look like? Well, Prophet focuses on growth and transformation. This is in contrast to firms like Deloitte and Accenture that support clients in a broader capacity (e.g., tech improvements, cost-cutting, etc.). Given Prophet’s narrower focus, you will mostly work on growth-focused studies, as opposed to cost-cutting studies. Some candidates may find this exciting, given growth studies are often “sexier”; however, other candidates may regret not seeing businesses more holistically (on the revenue and cost / operations side). Types of studies you can work on at Prophet include:
- Supporting CVS Kidney Care develop business capabilities to be a market leader in a quickly moving industry
- Supporting Ab InBev in developing its holistic ESG goals
For a broader understanding of types of projects you can work on at Prophet, see the library of case studies here.
Prophet Consulting Internship
The Prophet consulting internships, similar to internships across other consulting firms, focus on providing interns with an up-close look at what it means to be a Prophet consultant full time. Prophet does this by enabling interns to work on an ongoing consulting engagement.
While Prophet doesn’t have formal practice areas, the types of services you can work on at Prophet include:
- Identifying growth pathways
- Driving customer demand
- Reimagining brands
- Empowering employees
- Revolutionizing experiences
Prophet Consulting works across the spectrum in terms of industries it serves. Example industries include:
- Consumer goods
- Energy / utilities
- Financial services
- Industrial products
- Travel / hospitality
Prophet’s office locations are global, enabling more global opportunities. Office locations include:
- Hong Kong
- New York
- San Francisco
The Prophet consulting path can include staying at the firm and moving up to a partner level or to move to an operating company. See below for types of exit opportunities.
Based on LinkedIn, exit opportunities from Prophet can include:
- Working in business operations
- Working in marketing
- Getting an MBA
Prophet does not publish its notable alumni.
Prophet target schools are some of the top schools in the United States. Per LinkedIn, Prophet target schools include:
- University of North Carolina (~25 of 770 employees on LinkedIn)
- University of Pennsylvania (~20 of 770 employees on LinkedIn)
- University of Virginia (~20 of 770 employees on LinkedIn)
- London School of Economics (~15 of 770 employees on LinkedIn)
Prophet has several diversity programs for its employees. Prophet’s diversity programs include:
- Women in Leadership
- Pride @Prophet
- Black @Prophet
- Latinos @Profit
Prophet Consulting Culture
Prophet has a 4.3 out of 5 star review on Glassdoor. Positive aspects of the job include:
- Working with creative and smart people
- Strong leadership exposure
- Strong training programs
- Negative aspects of the job focus on challenging work life balance, which is pretty standard across consulting firms.
Prophet Consulting Interview
Similar to other consulting firms, Prophet features a case study in its interview. However, the case study may, anecdotally, be more marketing / branding focused. You can also expect fit questions like:
- Why do you want to work at Prophet?
- Why consulting?
Prophet Consulting Salary
The Prophet consulting base salary for the associate role (right out of college) is ~$80-85,000. This is below MBB firms who have starting base salaries in the low $100,000 (e.g., ~$112,000 for Bain, ~$110,000 for BCG, and ~$112,000 for McKinsey). To compare the Prophet salary to a comprehensive set of salaries of other consulting firms, see Management Consulted’s Salary guide here.
Prophet consulting can be a good fit if you are interested in growth-focused transformations and / or interested in marketing. Types of projects you can work on include: identifying growth drivers, driving demand, and supporting organization transformations. Prophet brings global capabilities to its clients as well as the capabilities of its partner companies. Prophet works across industries and former employees say it has a strong company culture. The salaries are, according to those who have worked there, below the salaries of other MBB firms. Therefore, Prophet is a great company to look at if you are interested in business transformation, and don’t have an offer from a top tier firm.
- Top 25 Consulting Firms
- Top 10 Boutique Consulting Firms in US
- Consulting Resume: Complete Guide
- Case Interview: Complete Prep Guide