The Mazars Group is an international auditing firm with major bases in Europe and the United States. Founded in France, Mazars has expanded to become a global powerhouse in the world of auditing. In addition, Mazars USA (an independent firm under the Mazars Group) has a long history in the U.S. with roots dating back to 1921. The company is consistently ranked among the top audit firms worldwide with a brand name client list to boot. With a presence in over 90 countries and territories, Mazars is a major player in the world of auditing and financial advising. Employees enjoy flexible working locations, solid benefits, and high ratings of people and culture. But is the firm a good fit for you? Let’s take a closer look at Mazars, from the Mazars interview to the average Mazars salary, to find out!
Table of Contents
- Mazars Key Stats
- Mazars History
- Mazars Careers
- Mazars Internship
- Practice Areas
- Mazars USA Locations + Intl
- Career Path
- Exit Opportunities
- Notable Alumni
- Target Schools
- Diversity Program
- Mazars Culture
- Mazars Interview
- Mazars Salary
Mazars Key Stats
- Mazars Website: https://www.mazars.com/
- Mazars Headquarters: Paris, France
- Mazars Number of Employees: 42,000
- Mazars Number of Locations: 90+ countries
- Mazars Chief Executive: Hervé Hélias (Chairman and CEO) Victor Wahba (Mazars US CEO)
- Mazars Revenue: $1.9B (2020)
Resume + Cover Letter Edits
- 30min 1:1 Zoom session with MBB coach of your choice
- 2 Rounds of Edits each on 1 Resume and 1 Cover Letter
- Digital pass: 24 templates, 5 e-books
$500 Add to cart
Black Belt Deluxe
- 8 hours 1:1 Zoom sessions with MBB coach of your choice
- All access pass: 550+ cases, 10K+ math/structure drills, 9 video courses, 12 chatbot cases
- 2 Rounds of Edits each on 1 Resume and 1 Cover Letter
$2050 Add to cart
Maxwell R. Weiser, a U.S. Army veteran and New York University graduate, founded M.R. Weiser and Company in 1921 with the goal of serving entrepreneurs’ accounting and business needs. The firm saw rapid growth in the 20st century, and eventually became a part of European giant Mazars in 2010. As a result of this consolidation, the new firm’s industry prestige skyrocketed (as evidenced by the recent Mazars accounting firm ranking).
Of course, Mazars accounting firm offers roles in audit and accounting. However, the firm also offers career paths for consultants. These roles generally fall into two buckets: generalist or sector specific.
Mazars consulting internships are available for undergraduate and graduate students, and typically take place for 8-10 weeks in the summer. Apply through your campus or the Mazars website.
Mazars is structured very similarly to a Big 4 accounting firm. Its lines of business include:
Mazars serves clients across industries, including:
- Energy, infrastructure, & environment
- Financial services
- Healthcare & life sciences
- Public & social sector
- Real Estate
- Technology Media & Telecommunications
- Transport & Logistics
Mazars USA Locations + Intl
You can find a Mazars office (or two!) in the following locations. In the U.S., you’ll find Mazars offices in 11 cities.
Across the world, you’ll find dozens of Mazars office locations. Here are a few of the most notable – see the full list here.
The Mazars career path offers a clear track towards promotion. The company prefers to elevate in-house talent when filling open positions. Many Mazars consultants start at the firm and spend more than a decade in positions of increasing responsibility across varying functional areas. In fact, most Mazars partners started at the firm as junior level analysts!
As one of the “Big 7” international accounting firms, exit opportunities from Mazars are numerous. Given the firm’s global presence, it is easy for Mazars alumni to find work in their client focused organizations, either in internal audit, accounting, or corporate strategy. Others leave the firm to pursue an MBA or other advanced degree.
Mazars notable alumni can be found inside and outside of the management consulting world. Christophe Desbriere began his career at Mazars as an audit intern but is now an Associate Partner at McKinsey and Company, proving that it is possible to make the jump from Mazars to MBB (although some interim steps may be required).
Mazars USA target schools include:
- Baruch College
- Hofstra University
- Queens University
The New York bias speaks to the company’s strong presence in the northeastern US. That said, Mazars hires students from across the U.S. at most of the top universities in the country.
While there is no formal Mazars diversity program, the company prides itself on achieving gender equality and promoting gender diversity. The geographic diversity of the company lends itself to an international and diverse workforce.
Mazars celebrates its global culture. Founded in France in 1945, the firm has retained a distinctly European feel, and thus, treats its employees like it wants them to stay for life. The Mazars culture is centered around integrity, diversity, independence, and respect. A detailed version of Mazar’s cultural philosophy can be found here: https://www.mazars.com/Home/Services/Consulting/Insights/Auditing-company-culture
The Mazars interview reviews report a generally rapid turnaround process. Within a few weeks of applying, you’ll know if you received the job.
Mazars Interview Process
The Mazars interview process seems to vary a bit based on which specific arm of the firm you’re applying for. But in general, you can expect a process with the following steps/rounds:
- Fill out the application form online.
- The firm reviews your application and decides they want to move forward. You are requested to complete online numerical reasoning & verbal reasoning tests. The tests are provided by Kenexa.
- If you pass the online assessment, you undergo an initial vetting interview with a member of the recruitment team.
- Next, in what you might call the second round of interviews, you will encounter a case-type interview. In this first interview, you will be given an analytical exercise to read. From there, you will be asked questions based on the key skills that are most important in the role for which you have applied.
- If the second interview goes well, you will be asked to come into an office for a final round of interviews that consist of:
- Meeting the team
- An interview with a Partner that is much more of a “fit” interview
- A series of written exercises to test your writing, comprehension, and communication skills – you might be summarizing facts, writing a report, responding to an email, creating a list of pros and cons, or writing an email to a client.
- An “in tray exercise” that is not challenging but executed under intense time pressure. You are asked to:
- Prioritize emails
- Create programs
- Respond to a memo
- A straightforward group exercise. Groups are given a scenario in which they must decide on a resolution to a specific problem. You will have 15 minutes to read and consider, and then 30 minutes to discuss and reach a decision.
- Ensure everyone participates, and make sure that you find a time to express your views, while also listening to everyone else. You should be able to demonstrate listening skills, a little persuasion, and the ability to integrate other’s ideas into your thinking.
If all goes well, Mazars tries to make decisions and notify candidates within two weeks of their final interview.
The Mazars salary varies by location and position. The average Mazars USA salary for consultants is $81,801. The average Mazars audit senior salary is $89,840. For more information on consulting salaries, check out our full Consulting Salaries Report.
The Mazars accounting firm is competitive to break into, and for good reason. As one of the leading audit and advisory firms in the world, the firm has the luxury of being selective in its hiring process. Since the company is expanding and has established bases in both the USA and abroad, Mazars is always looking for new talent. Work with our expert team to pass the screening process and ace the interview to snag a position at this elite firm.
- Top 25 Consulting Firms
- Boutique Consulting Firms
- Consulting Resume: Complete Guide
- Case Interview: Complete Prep Guide