AT&T is a well-known conglomerate in the TMT space with highly sought-after roles that are difficult to land. This is where knowing the AT&T interview questions comes in handy. Success takes more than just practicing AT&T interview questions and answers, however. In this article, we explore the firm’s history and culture, life at AT&T, and provide tips for successfully navigating AT&T interview questions. Let’s dive in.
Table of Contents:
AT&T History & Culture
An understanding of the company’s history can come in helpful when formulating answers to AT&T interview questions. The company considers itself the first truly modern media company and boasts an impressive legacy of innovation that includes the transistor, solar cell, communications satellite, and machine learning. It traces its history back to when Alexander Graham Bell founded Bell Telephone Company in 1877. By 1885, Bell Telephone Company had acquired several smaller companies and formed a subsidiary called American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T). Over the next 100 years, through both organic growth and acquisition, the company became a massive provider of landline telephone services across the US.
You may have heard of the term “baby bells.” This refers to the landmark antitrust decision in 1982 to break up AT&T into seven “baby bell” local operating companies. Over the next 35 years, one of these “baby bells,” Southwestern Bell Company (later, SBC communications), purchased the other previously independent baby bells, merged with Cingular Wireless, and created an organization that is known today as AT&T. The current company owns 4 of the 7 “baby bells” created in 1982.
Throughout its history, AT&T has reinvented itself time and time again – most recently adding WarnerMedia to its portfolio. Today, its market focus is on customer engagement in two broad areas: broadband connectivity and software-based entertainment.
Black Belt Deluxe
- 8 hours 1:1 Zoom sessions with MBB coach of your choice
- All digital pass: 500+ cases, 10K+ math/structure drills, 8 video courses
- Admittance to July 2021 cohort (2 live group trainings; peer practice)
- Automatic access to all 2021 intensives
- 2 Rounds of Edits each on 1 Resume and 1 Cover Letter
17 Spots RemainingAdd to cart
Life At AT&T
To stand out when answering AT&T interview questions, it will behoove you to understand what life is like at AT&T today. Its culture focuses on being honest with colleagues and customers, imaginative and innovative, reliable, and impactful. It also has clear standards around equality, freedom of speech, diversity, and inclusion.
AT&T offers a blog all about life at AT&T. In addition, the company has an Instagram account that provides information about what it’s like to work at AT&T. These resources provided by the company will help you quickly learn that a passion for innovation, connection, diversity, and personal growth will make you a good fit for the company. You’ll also learn that the financial, healthcare, education, and training benefits of working at AT&T are impressive. For example, the company offers tuition assistance and unique training and development programs. There is even an interesting “save on SWAG” benefit, where you have access to free and highly discounted events, services, and merchandise.
AT&T Interview Tips
The AT&T interview process generally has seven steps. You should be familiar with them as you enter the interview process. These include:
- Complete an online application
- Complete an online assessment before your interview (prepare using these study guides)
- Conduct an in-person interview, phone interview, or AT&T video interview
- Except for the medium being used, AT&T online interview questions won’t differ from what you’d experience in-person or over the phone. AT&T interview questions will vary based on function and are likely to be a mix of traditional and behavioral questions. More on that distinction in the next section.
- Run through a series of follow up interviews
- Receive a conditional job offer
- Pass a background check
- Join AT&T
AT&T offers clear interview tips to help applicants succeed. They encourage you to dress to impress. Do your research on the company but more importantly, the specific role to which you are applying. AT&T wants to know that you know exactly what your job requirements would be. They want you to instill confidence in them that you have the experiences and skills to do an excellent job in the role. Use your past experiences to describe what you know and what you can do (hint: be specific and answer via stories!).
Be prepared for the “big question.” You may specifically be asked “why should we hire you?” Have an answer ready that’s confident, concise, and focuses on how your skills match their company needs. Have questions for your interviewer too. AT&T wants to see that you are genuinely curious and are doing what you can to make sure the role is a good fit from your perspective.
AT&T Behavioral Interview Questions
Now on to the all-important AT&T interview questions and answers. For most corporate roles, expect to encounter a large number of behavioral interview questions. Behavioral interviews ask a candidate to use their past experiences to demonstrate a particular capability or skill. When a question starts with, “tell us about a time when,” you know they are looking for you to talk about a previous experience that demonstrates a specific skill/ability that will be needed in the role.
Your answers to behavioral interview questions should offer the interviewer clear evidence of your abilities. Here are 10 behavioral interview questions that you may be asked in AT&T interviews:
- Tell me about a time you provided exceptional customer service.
- Can you describe a time you made an important suggestion that was ultimately implemented?
- Can you tell me about a mistake you made and how you corrected it?
- Can you describe a time when you faced an ethical dilemma on the job? How did you handle it?
- What are you like when you are working under pressure?
- Tell me about a time when you didn’t agree with a team member. What was the outcome?
- Have you ever had a conflict with a boss? How was it resolved?
- What is your management style? Can you provide some examples?
- Describe a time when you received negative feedback from a manager. How did you handle it? What steps did you take after?
- What have you done to improve your knowledge or build your talents in the past year?
You’ll also likely be asked a series of more traditional AT&T interview questions. Examples of traditional interview questions AT&T might ask someone applying for a corporate or management role include:
- Why do you want to work at AT&T?
- Why should we hire you?
- Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses.
- What do you like least about your current job?
- What traits do ideal co workers possess?
- What are AT&T’s competitors?
- Can you tell me about AT&T?
- Do you have any questions for us?
For specifics on how to answer AT&T interview questions, we recommend using the STAR Method. More on that here.
AT&T interview questions are going to reflect the role for which you are applying. Make sure you do your research on that specific role and undersdtand if it’s a AT&T video interview or in person. That said, we recommend familiarizing yourself with the company’s history and recent strategic initiatives as you prepare for your interview. Prepare stories as answers for the behavioral interview questions, and be ready to answer the big question: “why should we hire you?” If you need prep help for your AT&T interview, reach out!
- IBM Interview Questions
- Consulting Resume: Complete Guide
- Consulting Cover Letter: Ultimate Guide
- Pyramid Principle Applied