Calling all business owners, independent consultants, and side-hustlers: When you’re looking for a credit card that offers travel rewards, the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business should be near the top of your list. With a lot of the travel perks and mileage-earning you crave, without the hefty annual fees of cards like The Business Platinum® Card from American Express, the Capital One Spark should be a serious contender for your year-end business spend.
One of the biggest reasons? Capital One is offering a big welcome bonus for new card members – just in time for you to throw that swanky year-end holiday party (or be more responsible if you really want). But this offer is only for a limited time, so keep reading to see if this is the card for you – and get in on this deal today!
Is the Capital One Spark Business Card for you?
So, let’s get right down to it – should you seriously consider the Capital One Spark Miles Business Card, and will it meet your business needs? The Spark Miles card is good:
- For those with Excellent Credit
- If you utilize credit to pay for expenses
- If you like to try before you buy: you’ll love the $0 annual fee for the first year, and only $95 thereafter
- If you pay the balance off each month or have low carry over
- If you are looking to maximize travel benefits (who isn’t?)
- If your business has multiple employees with purchasing power – unlimited free employee cards
We’ve established the Capital One Spark Business Card is a great option for the evolving needs of many business owners. But we know the question you’re really asking: what about those perks?
Capital One Spark Benefits that Reward Big
Sign Up Bonus
On October 22, 2019, Capital One launched a 200K (!) mile sign-up bonus for new Spark Miles for Business card members. Now that’s a lot of miles! Spend $5,000 in the first 3 months of account opening to receive 50,000 bonus miles and spend a total of $50,000 in the first 6 months of account opening to receive another 150,000 bonus miles. According to our friends at The Points Guy, these miles are worth up to $2,000 toward travel. With holiday and end-of-year spending just around the corner, you’ll be on your way to that free (and well-deserved) vacation in no time.
Mile Earning Categories
Another perk the Capital One Spark Card offers is the ability to maximize your earnings with purchases for other expenses besides travel, although travel related purchases, like hotels and rentals cards, offer a higher reward. Here’s the breakdown:
- 5X miles on hotel and rental car bookings through Capital One Travel
- Unlimited 2X miles on every purchase with your business card
Between the huge offer and the 2X mile earnings on every purchase, you will, in fact, earn, at minimum, an extra 100,000 miles to that bonus, giving you a total of 300,000 miles. This amount will only increase if you use your new card on holiday travel. Cha-Ching!
If the sign up bonus and mile-earning categories aren’t enough, the Capital One Spark 2X Miles Business Card offers even more benefits to being a card member:
- Redeem your miles instantly for any travel-related purchases, from flights and hotels to ride-sharing services. No waiting for miles to transfer – pay immediately with the miles you have in your account
- Pick your payment due date
- Year-end summaries
- QuickBooks® interchange
- Spend limits on employee cards
- Assign account managers to act on your behalf
- Fraud protection
- Up to $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Miles transfer with 15 airline partners*
- No foreign transaction fees
*Capital One’s airline partners are heavily weighted toward international carriers. This is great news for you even if you’re looking to redeem your miles for domestic trips, as these carriers generally offer better mileage ticket rates for flights on their U.S. partners than the U.S. carriers themselves offer:
- Air France
- Air Canada
- Asia Miles
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Airways
- EVA Air
- Hainan Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Singapore Airlines
JetBlue is also a Capital One airline partner. Although JetBlue recently added flights to over 100 international destinations, the airline is still focused on continuing to build out its U.S. presence. Flying JetBlue Mint from BOS/JFK to SFO is our favorite way to go from coast-to-coast.
For a full read on the card benefits, check out the online guide here.
Why shouldn’t I get the Capital One Spark Business Card?
This breakdown of the Capital One Spark Miles Business Card would not be complete if we didn’t mention why this may not be the card for you. Here are some things to consider:
- If you barely make airline status every year, we don’t recommend booking your airline tickets through Capital One Travel, as you won’t get the spend credit from your airline. Instead, use the card to purchase directly with the airline – however, this will give 2X miles on every transaction instead of the 5X you would have earned booking directly via the Capital One portal.
- This card carries a slightly higher APR so if you tend to carry a balance, this may not be the card for you.
- There is no introductory rate for this card and balance transfers do not count toward spending requirements for the limited time bonus offer.
- There is no cash-back rewards option.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business has some great benefits and perks and rises near the top of our list for best business travel-rewards cards due to the incredible welcome bonus. Don’t miss out: apply today!