What if your resume gets rejected by every consulting firm? Then will you make the necessary changes?
We’ve seen how the recruiting process works on the inside and outside, and exactly how resumes are chosen for interviews.
We’ve edited – not reviewed, but actually edited – resumes for hundreds of consulting job seekers – many of whom afterwards received not only interviews, but offers from the best consulting companies like McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Accenture, Mercer, and many more.
You probably have the following concerns about your resume/CV and cover letter…
On the resume/CV:
- Is my GPA too low? Should I include it even if I’m many years out of college?
- Should I include my SAT score, even if I’m in business school?
- I don’t have any work experience. How can I show that I’m ready for consulting?
- Will 10 years of work experience in IT/engineering/medicine/non-consulting fields hurt my chances?
- I didn’t have many leadership positions. How can I tailor my resume to demonstrate leadership?
- I’ve heard that you can’t have more than one page, yet I have too many experiences to include. What should I do?
- Are there specific keywords I should add to get noticed by automated scanners?
On the cover letter:
- I hear that many consulting firms don’t read cover letters. How good does my cover letter need to be?
- Can a cover letter be longer than one page?
- Should I put my contact information in the body or just at top? Or do I place it below my signature?
- I’ve met consultants at information sessions. Can I name-drop in the letter?
- Am I supposed to discuss personal experiences in the cover letter, or just explain why I want to work at XYZ consulting firm?
- A recruiter told me both documents need to be more “results-oriented.” How can I accomplish that?
- On the website, it says I can submit “supplemental information and documents.” What can I send them?
- I feel like my application doesn’t stand out, and I can only submit it through the company website. How can I change my application to make sure that when a recruiter reviews it, they remember me?
Here’s our offer to help you solve those questions and get interviews!
A resume and cover letter editing service that will impress recruiters and excite consultants. After editing your resume, it will…
- Be a world-class resume with an underlying structure that you can use for the rest of your career
- Highlight your strengths and scream traits that consultants look for
- Hide specific weaknesses that cause recruiters to trash your application
- Include specific keywords and phrases that will red-flag your resume – in a good way
- Turn common work and extracurricular experiences into project-based, results-oriented accomplishments that make you look like a consultant already
Here’s what you get with our editing service:
- After making your purchase, you’ll receive 2 templates (upgraded to 24 if you purchase the Starter Editing package with the Consulting Resume and Cover Letter Bible included). Use the templates to get started creating one complete resume or cover letter that has the style to stand out. Add your comments to us inside the document.
- We conduct a first round of edits to correct structural problems (both style and content) and get you 80% of the way there. We leave you extensive comments and placeholders where you need to add or adjust information.
- After this, you’ll have a lot of homework to add additional information to your story.
- For our second edit, we’ll use a scalpel to do a final word-by-word edit looking in detail at each experience and activity, perfecting punctuation and finalizing your documents.
- By now, your resume should be 99% of what we want it to be. But we’ll continue providing unlimited advice via email for 14 days when you have additional questions.
Here are a few “Before” and “After” resumes (scrubbed of personally identifying information).
Experienced resume before and after:
A university resume from good to great:
Another from bad to great:
We have examples of even more dramatic changes – resumes that are multiple pages long, completely unfocused, poorly worded – this is an example of what can be done even if you think your resume is already strong.
Here’s a “Before” and “After” cover letter:
Aren’t there other resume editing services I can use?
Existing services don’t hit the mark. Here are some of the problems I see:
- Generic resume services don’t know how consulting firms think. Consultants look for specific keywords, phrases, and types of experiences. Generic editors are clueless.
- They charge incredibly high prices.
- They provide vague and generic feedback — if any at all. “Make your resume less text-heavy” or “Be more detailed in your work experiences.”
- There’s no opportunity for subsequent revisions. What happens when you start a new job, or join a new student group? You have to pay the same price to start over.
Ok, so how much does all this cost?
The total cost for a brand-new resume is $250. For cover letters or leadership essays only, $150. And combined, we’ll include a free copy of The Consulting Resume and Cover Letter Bible (a $95 value and an upgrade to 24 templates) and discount the package from $495 to $350.
You’ll get a further discount if you’re interested in consulting interview preparation as well.
This sounds great! How do I get started?
Click the link below to learn more. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns!
More frequently asked questions:
My resume is due in 3 days. Can you accommodate my schedule?
We’re flexible, and can typically accommodate a shorter turnaround if needed. Email us before making your payment to confirm. Guaranteed 48-hour turnaround, even over the weekend, costs an extra 100 USD; otherwise, you can expect an 8-10 day average turnaround (between our 2 editing rounds and your feedback) under standard services. (The extra 100 USD is only charged once, even if you order both the resume and cover letter services.)
I’d like your help on my resume, cover letter and the interviews. Can I get a discount?
If you’re interested in resume and cover letter editing + interview prep, we have 2 discounted options:
- Consulting Job Hunt – Resume/Cover Letter editing + 1 Hour of Interview Prep (includes free copies of The Consulting Bible and The Consulting Resume and Cover Letter Bible); $475 (discounted from $825)
- Consulting Boot Camp – Resume/Cover Letter editing + 4 Hours of Interview Prep (includes free copies of The Consulting Bible and The Consulting Resume and Cover Letter Bible); discounted to $975 (a $425 savings).
To keep things fair for all clients, no discounts for orders placed separately.
Can I get a refund on the interview service if I cancel it after making a bulk order for multiple services?
Yes, but the refund will be decreased by the amount of the bulk discount. (e.g. your net payment after receiving the refund will be as if you purchased services separately).
I think my resume is pretty good. How can you help?
Even if you’ve spent months perfecting your resume and asked 20 of your friends to review it, there is always something that can be improved. Unless you’ve worked at a leading management consulting firm for several years and seen from the inside how consultants and recruiters read and review resumes, you simply won’t know the secrets of crafting a resume that will blow your competition away.
If you really don’t want the editing service but just want a live review of the resume for its strengths and weaknesses, select that option from our Plans and Pricing page. We’ll spend 30-minutes to 1 hour going over your resume and talking about how and where you should apply that will best suit your background and aspirations.
What if I’m an international student, or applying to offices overseas?
The resume editing process is similar regardless of the country. Firms standardize their recruiting methods, so our advice and critique for your resume/CV will apply regardless of whether you’re applying to Boston, Massachusetts or Barcelona, Spain.
I have 15 years of work experience and now want to transition into consulting. Can you still help me?
We find that these clients often need the most help – whether that’s in recognizing what consulting firms today look for in resumes, or knowing how to highlight only what’s important after many years of work experience to fit on a 1 page document. If you’re unsure, don’t hesitate to reach out to us to discuss.
Do you offer discounts if I purchase your services separately? For instance, if I pay full price for resume editing now, can I get the package discount if I choose to purchase the interview later?
Unfortunately, we can’t offer the discount if you purchase separately. It wouldn’t be fair to the people who pay for the packages upfront. Hope that makes sense!
How many rounds of edits will you do? Is everything done over e-mail?
We will do two rounds of edits for your resume and/or cover letter over e-mail. You can still ask questions or request reviews of minor edits after that (within a 14-day period starting from the day you sign up). After that, we will be happy to address specific questions, but will no longer be doing additional work on the resume.
If you are dying to work with us live to review the edits, we suggest our Consulting Job Hunt package. Use the hour on the phone with us to make sure we’re on the same page, talk through your specific opportunities, and develop a networking plan around your core competencies. We LOVE this option, and our very happiest clients select it, but in the interest of keeping our prices low we don’t make it mandatory to include a review over the phone.
I’m looking at a lot of different options for services. Why should I choose this one?
We’re glad you asked.
First – do any other services have an ex-M/B/B management consultant reviewing the resume, and if so, do they have years of experience working with hundreds of super-satisfied clients? We didn’t think so.
Second – do they offer editing, or just a review? If they offer editing, how extensive is it? In our editing services, we rip apart the documents apart and rebuild them from scratch. It takes hours. We’re not cheap, but we’re not here to mass-produce resumes – we want job offers for the select clients we do work with, and we’ll do everything we can to get you there.
Third – do they offer 2 rounds of editing, or just a slam-bam one-hit wonder with the hope they got it right? Our 2 rounds are a proven method to ensure that you’re thrilled – which is why we have so many client referrals, returning clients (some are now exiting M/B/B) and a non-existent complaint rate.
I’m a student and the prices seem a bit steep for me. Do I have any other options?
We created the Consulting Resume and Cover Letter Bible just for you!
For just $95, you get access to 24 top templates and 73 packed pages of the advice we would otherwise give you personally for the services. Of course, you’ll have to do the really heavy lifting, but we’ve given you a complete step-by-step guide to help you build a new resume and cover letter on your own – at a fraction of the price!
Fast track your job search process and break into management consulting today!