What if your resume gets rejected by every investment bank and hedge fund? Then will you make the necessary changes?
Welcome, jobseeker! If you are looking for resume or cover letter editing services, you’ve come to the right place. Although this website is mainly focused on consulting, one of our team members, Jerry, a Stanford grad, has experience at bulge-bracket investment banks, and he will be the one editing your documents if you are interested in finance. He has reviewed over 1000 finance resumes and given interviews to over 100 finance candidates, so he knows exactly what recruiters are looking for.
Together, we have more than 10 years of experience across management & strategy consulting and finance. Our founder worked at McKinsey & Co. in offices around the world (including Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Houston, and New York City).
We’ve seen how the recruiting process works on the inside and outside, and exactly how resumes are chosen for interviews.
We’ve edited resumes for hundreds of consulting and finance job seekers – many of whom afterwards received offers from the best consulting companies like McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Accenture, Mercer, and many more.
They took my resume to the next level!
I would like to recommend the Resume/CV editing service by Management Consulted to people who want to get into banking. They took my resume to the next level, bankified it, and spun it specifically to catch the eyes of IB analysts, associates, MD’s. I personally landed an interview using their resume edits at Barclays Capital for 2010 full-time IBD. They even gave me bonus career advice that was much more helpful than any other recruiting sites, guides, etc., because they are willing to consider my unique personal situation and advise through several e-mails. Moreover, the people at Management Consulted are very successful people that already have walked the path that all of us want to walk. A++
Brandon, student, Los Angeles, CA
You probably have the following concerns about your resume/CV and cover letters…
On the resume/CV:
- Is my GPA too low? Should I include it even if I’m many years out of college?
- Should I include my SAT score, even if I’m in business school?
- I don’t have any work experience. How can I show that I’m ready for finance?
- Will 10 years of work experience in IT/engineering/medicine/non-finance fields hurt my chances?
- I didn’t have many leadership positions. How can I tailor my resume to demonstrate leadership?
- I’ve heard that you can’t have more than one page, yet I have too many experiences to include. What should I do?
- Are there specific keywords I should add to get noticed by automated scanners?
On the cover letter:
- I hear that many finance firms don’t read cover letters. How good does my cover letter need to be?
- Can a cover letter be longer than one page?
- Should I put my contact information in the body or just at top? Or do I place it below my signature?
- I’ve met bankers at information sessions. Can I name-drop in the letter?
- Am I supposed to discuss personal experiences in the cover letter, or just explain why I want to work at XYZ?
- A recruiter told me both documents need to be more “results-oriented”. How can I accomplish that?
- On the website, it says I can submit “supplemental information and documents”. What can I send them?
- I feel like my application doesn’t stand out, and I can only submit it through the company website. How can I change my application to make sure that when a recruiter reviews it, they remember me?
Here’s our offer to help you solve those questions and get interviews!
A resume and cover letter editing service that will impress recruiters. After editing your resume, it will…
- Be a world-class resume with an underlying structure that you can use for the rest of your career
- Highlight your strengths and scream traits that bankers look for
- Hide specific weaknesses that cause recruiters to delete your application
- Include specific keywords and phrases that will red-flag your resume – in a good way
- Turn common work and extracurricular experiences into project-based, results-oriented accomplishments that make you look like a consultant already
My friends look at my resume and have been trying to model theirs after mine
I cannot speak more highly of the resume service provided by Management Consulted. The advice I was given was in depth and in addition to making revisions for me, Kevin took the time to make sure I understood the strengths and weaknesses of my resume as I head into the recruiting process.
I’ve shown my resume to contacts at various consulting firms, including McKinsey and Monitor, as well as friends in business school and have gotten nothing but positive feedback. The best part of using this service was that I could submit my resume to recruiters and contacts with full confidence that my resume has a strong chance of getting selected for an interview.
My friends look at my resume and have been trying to model theirs after mine.
I am extremely happy with the feedback I have received and recommend this service without reservation. I wish I had received the feedback sooner.
Vikram, Teach for America fellow interested in strategy consulting
Here’s what you get:
- A first round of edits to correct structural problems (both style and content)
- After this, you’ll have a lot of homework to rewrite your resume and provide additional information
- Then, we’ll use a scalpel to do a word-by-word edit looking in detail at each experience and activity
- By now, your resume should be 98% of what we want it to be. But we’ll continue providing unlimited advice for 30 days when you have additional questions
Here are a few “Before” and “After” resumes (scrubbed of personally identifying information).
Experienced resume before and after:
A university resume from good to great:
Another from bad to great:
We have examples of even more dramatic changes – resumes that are multiple pages long, completely unfocused, poorly worded – this is an example of what can be done even if you think your resume is already strong
Here’s a “Before” and “After” cover letter:
The resume helped land me 4 interviews!
I’m happy to write you a testimonial. It’s not what I’d usually do but after spending several hours over the course of a week working with you on my CV, it was the least I could do.
Not only did you cut [my CV] from 3 pages to a page, I don’t feel like too much was left out. I was surprisingly comfortable with the result, and think it…focused attention on important parts.
In addition, you rewrote a surprising amount of stuff. I feel like it reads well, and I’ve been showing it around to people in my department. After submitting it to more than 15 firms through [graduate] recruiting, I got 4 interview offers coming up in the next week!
Justine, PhD student who broke into consulting
Aren’t there other resume editing services I can use?
Existing services don’t hit the mark. Here are some of the problems I see:
- Generic resume services don’t know how investment banks think. These firms look for specific keywords, phrases, and types of experiences. Generic editors are clueless, since they don’t have real experience in the field
- They charge incredibly high prices
- They provide vague and generic feedback – if any at all. “Make your resume less text-heavy”. or “Be more detailed in your work experiences”
- There’s no opportunity for subsequent revisions. What happens when you start a new job, or join a new student group? You have to pay the same price to start over
Ok, so how much does all this cost?
The total cost for a brand-new resume is $250. For cover letters only, $150. And combined, we’ll discount the service by $50 to $350 (no discount if ordered separately)
You’ll get a further discount if you’re interested in interview preparation as well. Please e-mail us detailing your needs before paying for the interview.
This sounds great! How do I get started?
Our offer is only for serious people who are committed to breaking into finance.
More frequently asked questions:My resume is due in 3 days. Can you accommodate my schedule?
We’re flexible, and can typically accommodate a shorter turnaround if needed. Email us before making your payment to confirm. Guaranteed 48-hour turnaround costs an extra $100 USD; otherwise, you can expect a 3-5 business day turnaround. (The extra $100 USD is only charged once, even if you order both the resume and cover letter services.)
I’d like your help on my resume, cover letter and the interviews. Can I get a discount?
If you’re interested in resume editing, cover letter editing, and interview prep, we discount it from $600 to $475.
To keep things fair for all clients, no discounts for orders placed separately.
Can I get a refund on the interview service if I cancel it after making a bulk order for multiple services?
Yes, but the refund will be decreased by the amount of the bulk discount. (E.g. your net payment after receiving the refund will be as if you purchased services separately)
What if I’m an international student, or applying to offices overseas?
The resume editing process is similar regardless of the country. Firms standardize their recruiting methods, so our advice and critique for your resume/CV will apply regardless of whether you’re applying to Boston, Massachusetts or Barcelona, Spain.
I have 15 years of work experience and now want to transition into finance. Can you still help me?
We find that these clients often need the most help – whether that’s in recognizing what consulting firms today look for in resumes, or knowing how to highlight only what’s important after many years of work experience to fit on a 1 page document. If you’re unsure, don’t hesitate to reach out to us to discuss.
I think my resume is pretty good. How can you help?
Even if you’ve spent months perfecting your resume and asked 20 of your friends to review it, there is always something that can be improved. Unless you’ve worked at a leading investment bank for several years and seen from the inside how recruiters read and review resumes, you simply won’t know the secrets of crafting a resume that will blow your competition away.
Do you offer discounts if I purchase your services separately? For instance, if I pay full price for resume editing now, can I get the package discount if I choose to purchase the interview later?
Unfortunately, we can’t offer the discount if you purchase separately. It wouldn’t be fair to the people who pay for the packages upfront. Hope that makes sense!
How many rounds of edits will you do? Is everything done over e-mail?
We will do two rounds of edits for your resume and/or cover letter over e-mail. You can still ask questions or request reviews of minor edits after that (within a 30-day period starting from the day you sign up).
The second session…was like taking a scalpel and cutting into the specifics of each and every line
What I found most helpful about the resume editing was that it started out very broad and as we worked more and more on it, I was eased into correcting the smaller nit-picky things. For example, during our first session, we talked mostly about things like formatting and general ideas that we want the resume to present. Things such as: more result oriented bullet points, more numeric examples for these results, what to keep in, what to take out. And it was only after that, that we were able to go into the details especially with wording. Like you said, the first session was like taking an axe to the resume and separating chunks of information while the second session was like taking a scalpel and cutting into the specifics of each and every line. And that was what I found most helpful because I never felt too overwhelmed with information on what I have to fix.
Victoria, University student who received multiple consulting job offers